There are 60 French-owned firms operating in Charlotte USA, including eight U.S. headquarters. Industry leaders such as Michelin Aircraft Tire Co., Turbomeca and AXA Advisors are members of the region’s thriving international community. New daily nonstop flights to Paris from Charlotte Douglas International Airport began in 2009.
The Charlotte region continues to strengthen its position as one of the most dynamic and diversified locations in North America. This 16-county region – 12 in North Carolina and four in South Carolina – is home to more than 900 foreign-owned firms, eight Fortune 500 company headquarters and a growing population of more than 2.7 million residents.
Why have French firms chosen Charlotte USA?
- Largest Concentration of international firms in the Carolinas, employing more than 50,000 workers
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the 7th busiest airport in the world and has daily nonstop flights to 7 European destinations
- Second largest banking center in the US
- Foreign Trade Zone 57 has locations around the Charlotte region
- Manufacturing hub of the Carolinas
- Highest concentration of medical device manufacturing in the Carolinas
- Eight Fortune 500 headquarters
- Home to more than 275 corporate headquarters
- Engineering center of the Carolinas: home to global giants such as URS, Toshiba, Siemens, Areva, Chicago Bridge & Iron, Parsons, Duke Power, Flour Corp, and Westinghouse
- Progressive renewable energy standard of 12.5% by 2021
- 4% of the Carolinas’ exports went to France in 2009
- Honorary French Consul living in Charlotte, NC
- Alliance Française of Charlotte celebrates French festivals including Mardi Gras, Bastille Day and Celebration of Beaujolais Nouveau
- Both Pfeiffer University and Winthrop University partner with French Universities for student exchange in both graduate and undergraduate programs.
- Both International Baccalaureate and French language programs are available to all local students.
Turbomeca Manufacturing Inc., a helicopter engine parts manufacturer owned by the Safran Group of Paris, recently opened a $50 million facility in Monroe, NC. The plant will employ 180.
Information technology giant, Sogeti, recently opened an office in south Charlotte. 25 employees will provide consulting services for projects, enterprise technology and applications as well as managed testing.
Reports & Profiles
- French Firms Directory and Map
- French Charlotte USA Overview
- 2009 Carolinas Foreign Investment Profile – France
- Overview of health sector (2-pager) - French
- Overview of energy sector (2-pager) - French
- Overview of aerospace and defense sector (2-pager) - French